The wreck of the German torpedo boat S 57 is perhaps the most well-known wreck on the Adriatic. The crew sank her on 19 August 1944 after failing to repair damage sustained from a British warship. The wreck lies off the north coast of the Pelješac peninsula. One of the main attractions is the ship’s anti-aircraft gun, still intact and with a functional mount, despite so many years spent below the sea. Dimensions: L = 30 m; W = 3.5 m; H = 1.5 m.
The site is reached by boat which is anchored near the wreck. The wreck is visible at 5 m; she rests on the sandy seabed on her starboard side. Two torpedo openings are visible on her bow, the bridge is well-preserved.
The ship’s interior is also visible – the engine room and three engines, as is the wooden panelling used to cover her metal skeleton. The cannon is on her stern. The upper deck lies at 27 m, the stern at 40 m.
The crew of this torpedo boat today are conger eels, octopi, forkbeards, rainbow wrasse, sea urchins, scorpionfish while mullet, striped and white bream scavenge on the seabed.